Jaap Vossers' SharePoint Blog

Just another WordPress.com site

Released: SharePoint QuickLaunchExtender

with 11 comments

Most of the out of the box SharePoint sites use the QuickLaunch menu. The size of this menu gradually grows as the number of sub sites and lists grow. I have heard many people complain about how they cannot easily find a particular navigation item when it is so crowded.

I published a free solution on Codeplex called SharePoint QuickLaunchExtender. It enriches the QuickLaunch menu. It comes with a custom configuration page that allows you to specify the behaviour of the QuikcLaunch menu. It works on both WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007. SharePoint QuickLaunchExtender comes with a Solution Package (WSP), so there are no manual installation steps to take.

This is the description of SharePoint QuickLaunchExtender on codeplex:

“Extends the SP QuickLaunch control to provide a richer experience. Configure it to transform the QuickLaunch into an Accordion, a set of collapsible/expandable panels (Adds scrollbar per panel if height limit is specified and exceeded), or a real-time filterable list. Uses jQuery”

Basically, in addition to the default behaviour of the QuickLaunch menu, there are three modes that SharePoint QuickLaunchExtender introduces.

• Expand/collapse (optionally with configurable panel height limit)
  • Accordion
  • Filter

Expand/collapse mode allows you to click one of the headings – just right next the heading link) to toggle the expand/collapse state of the panel that contains its related child links. You can configure whether all panels should be expanded or collapse on page load. Also, you can specify a limit in pixels for the panel height. If the limit for any of the panels is exceeded because of the amount of links on that panel, a vertical scrollbar will automatically be added to that panel to cater for any overflow.

Accordion mode also allows you to click one of the headings, however, only one panel will be in expanded state at all times. You can configure the panel height in pixels.

Filter mode is a mode that has been added after the first release. It is now my personal favourite now! It adds a textbox to the top of the QuickLaunch menu and allows you to filter the links in the QuickLaunch menu in a filter-as-you-type manner. This is really useful when your QuickLaunch menu tends to get very big.

Demo screencast:

I apologise for the poor readibility in the video above. In the video I demonstrate the different modes of SharePoint QuickLaunchextender as I configure it using the custom configuration page

Download SharePoint QuickLaunchExtender @ CodePlex

Written by jvossers

March 29, 2009 at 11:47 pm

11 Responses

1. Jaap, I’ve been using your list filter out on hosted sites. It works very well so thanks very much for that. Cheers!

Mick

March 30, 2009 at 11:43 pm

2. Hi Mick,

Thanks for your comment. That is very cool, glad I could help!

Jaap

Jaap Vossers

March 30, 2009 at 11:49 pm

3. any thoughts on making it site specific, meaning I can have a different setting for my top-level site rather then a sub-site?

Josiah

June 24, 2009 at 4:37 pm

4. Hi Josiah,

If I ever decide to develop a new version, that feature would be at the top of the list 🙂

Thanks

Jaap

Jaap Vossers

June 26, 2009 at 3:37 pm

5. Hi Jaap, thanks for this great piece of functionality. I have a question: I have deployed Quick Launch Extender onto a MOSS Publishing Portal. I have deployed the wsp globally. It works for all Quick Launches in “_layouts” but not on the portal itself ie team sites. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gary

Gary

July 10, 2009 at 1:12 pm

6. Do you have a version of the QuickLaunch Extender that will work with 2010?
    Whenever I go to the configuration page (/_layouts/vossers/QLEConfig.aspx), I get a Server Erro in ‘/’ Application page.
    I haven’t been able to debug it and figure out where the problem is yet.

David Wier

March 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm

7. Hi,

Do you have a version for sharepoint 2010

Patrick Timmerman

July 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm

8. Hi Jaap, Does this code work with Sharepoint 2010 … Coz I am unable to put in any deployment of the same

abhi

July 6, 2011 at 7:38 pm

• I wrote this for SharePoint 2007, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t work with SP2010

jvossers

January 28, 2012 at 1:02 pm

9. Hi Jaap, can the QuickLaunchExtender be used in SharePoint 2013? I have tried what I thought were the correct commands to installing the .wsp file but I can’t seem to install it.

Kind regards