Jaap Vossers' SharePoint Blog

Just another WordPress.com site

Released: SharePoint InstantListFilter

with 26 comments

The latest addition to my CodePlex portfolio is called SharePoint InstantListFilter.

It is an assembly free solution and you can even “install” it by editing the contents of a Content Editor Web Part! So what is it really? It is a javascript based solution that adds filter textboxes to every column of a SharePoint list view (SPGridView) with filter-as-you-type functionality. It uses jQuery to add the textboxes and perform the filtering.

Update: Live demo online

One cool freebie is that you can use it to filter on field types that normally aren’t filterable, like calculated fields and note (multiple lines of text) fields.

instantlistfilter_cropped

Instructions on how to install can be found on the CodePlex site.

Download SharePoint InstantListFilter @ CodePlex

Written by jvossers

March 30, 2009 at 8:40 pm

26 Responses

1. […] so long ago I posted something on my blog about a tool I released on CodePlex, called SharePoint […]

2. Hello,

Nice to see a very helpful utility. Can you please let me know how to make it work. I installed the wsp using the stsadm command and it was deployed. But what next. I opened my site having some lists and I can not find the textboxes as mentioned. Do i need to perform some additional activity to make it work?

Awaiting quick reply.
    Thanks
    Sumeet Gandhi

Sumeet Gandhi

May 6, 2009 at 2:33 pm

3. Hi Sumeet,

the process of installing SharePoint InstantListFilter is:

1. add solution
    2. deploy solution
    3. activate feature

Have a look at http://instantlistfilter.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=24060 to find out which Feature to activate.

Good luck,

Jaap

Jaap Vossers

May 6, 2009 at 2:45 pm

4. Hi Japp,

Thanks for the reply. I tried what you said. but i am not able to see the text boxes. I am using spgrid to display the data. so what is wrong. this is what i did

1. using stsadm command i added the solution to the sharepoint store.
    2. went to central admin and then in Central Administration > Operations > Solution Management i deployed the solution and i got vossers.instantlistfilter.deploymentpackage.wsp Deployed Globally deployed.
    3. i then got the site collection features and then activated the feature for site level.
    4. now i got to my web part which is using the spgrid but surprised to see that the text boxes are not there.

Can you tell me what is wrong and where.

Thanks
    Sumeet Gandhi

Sumeet Gandhi

May 9, 2009 at 7:08 am

5. Japp,

Can I have the source code for this application. I want to see and check it for my knowledge. I looked for it on the codeplex but you have posted the wsp file only.

Thanks
    Sumeet Gandhi

Sumeet Gandhi

May 9, 2009 at 12:01 pm

6. Hi Sumeet,

there is no serverside code involved – it’s all pure javascript. The .js file is also on codeplex. Also, you can rename the wsp’s extension to .cab and you can extract its contents to see what’s in there.

Try this first: view the html source in the browser on the page where you expected the boxes to appear and ensure that the js file is being referenced in the page head (I believe it’s called instantlistfilter.js). If it is on, then perhaps you are using a custom masterpage? You do need to have the AdditionalPageHead DelegateControl in your masterpage to allow SharePoint InstantListFilter to inject its javascript into the page head of every page.

Jaap Vossers

May 9, 2009 at 12:14 pm

7. Is there anyway to support paging. It seems that this would only work on values returned in the first set. Great job though.

Lance M

June 24, 2009 at 7:10 pm

8. Hi Lance,

thanks for dropping by.

the current solution purely depends on what is already loaded on the page. To support paging would greatly increase the complexity of the solution (involving ajax etc), and is not something I was planning do anytime soon. Sorry šŸ™‚

Thanks,

Jaap

Jaap Vossers

June 26, 2009 at 3:40 pm

9. Hi,
    Thanks for the post. Its working fine for me, but when I try to edit this list in datasheet using edit in datasheet option in action menu. It is saying:
    Web Part Error: There is no valid configuration for these connected parts to run in.

Harish

October 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm

10. I want to parse the special characters from my search text. When I search for C++, results for C are displayed, also characters like # and & are also not taken in search string. please suggest what to do ?

________________
    unlock iphone

speelry

October 2, 2009 at 1:40 am

11. Does this work with SP 2010? We have used it with SP 2007 and it does not seem to be working in our SP 2010 Dev and QA environments. Is there an update or a change that needs to be made to get it to worek properly?

Areon Jacksomn

February 15, 2011 at 11:59 pm

12. Hi Jaap,

I installed your utility.It is very nice thing.
    It is working very fine without any problem.
    We have developed similar application using jquery and silverlight.

Thanks all for your stuff.

Regards,
    Avinash.Devkate.

Avinash Devkate

May 4, 2011 at 8:40 am

13. Thanks for such a great script Jaap!

Quick question.

Is it possible to filter other lists on the same page when typing into the first list? For example, I would like to find everyone named Jaap and there are 3 lists on the page. How would I set up the script to filter the other two lists?

Ross

November 30, 2011 at 7:46 pm

• Hi Ross,

this would be a fairly significant change to the script so I can’t really give you a simple answer to this unfortunately.

Thanks,

Jaap

jvossers

December 27, 2011 at 10:03 am

14. This solution is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing. One comment/question:
    I know there are good reasons to use google’s jquery lib, but I’ve noticed that on some highly secure sights our users are getting warnings that a “virus” script is trying to run.
    Obviously it just doesn’t like calling out to an external site from the secure intranet.

So my question is what do I need to change in the header to get it to use a local jquery library?
    I’m still learning and can’t figure out why my attempt to change it doesn’t work:
    I changed the top part from:

google.load(“jquery”, “1.2.6”);
    google.setOnLoadCallback(function() {
    $(document).ready(function()
    {
    …etc

to:

$(document).ready(function()
    {
    …etc

But it doesn’t seem to work anymore. Can someone help with a local version of this script?

Thanks so much

Matt Spewak

January 13, 2012 at 10:57 pm

• Hi Matt,

I am assuming you already have a script reference to your local jquery library.

I think all you have to do is remove the }); at the bottom of the script, which is the closing part of the call to google.setOnLoadCallback

Thanks,

Jaap

jvossers

January 13, 2012 at 11:25 pm

• That did the trick. Can’t believe I missed that šŸ˜› Thanks again for your help.

Matt Spewak

January 23, 2012 at 6:31 pm

15. Per jvossers comment above; can you provide a full script without any }); or any reference to google’s callback.

Wayne Stanley

February 7, 2012 at 6:46 am

16. Hello Jaap,

I usually work on getting something to work and move on if I can’t. Hardly ask for help, not sure why. But this project is just what I have been looking for. I have tried the wsp and I only get the ‘web’ features and on my lists the search doesn’t work but I see the boxes (errors on page about jquery_1.4.4). I tried creating my own Visual Studio wsp project, get no errors when deploying, I activate the feature and get nothing not even boxes. What I’m expecting is to get this to work on existing lists (correct?). When I view source for my VS wsp project I don’t see the js files so I figure I did something wrong but don’t have any idea what. Novice, yes! Any help, suggestions, or prayers would be greatly appreciated. šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚

Pat

July 25, 2012 at 6:21 pm

17. Hello Jaap,

Is there a problem with your live demo site?

Ms. Ceee

January 29, 2013 at 6:29 pm

• there might have been, I got an email from the hosting provider saying they were working on some issues with their service. Should be sorted soon I hope šŸ™‚ Thanks for the message!

jvossers

January 29, 2013 at 8:49 pm

• Hi jaap

Is there a way to have single text box to filter all data rather than having multiple text boxes for each column..
        Please let me know..

PK

February 9, 2015 at 12:52 pm

18. Hi Jaap
    Have you got a step by step procedure on how to implement this on Sharepoint 2010?
    I am new to Sharepoint and find this filter exactly what I need.

Aslam

July 18, 2013 at 6:21 pm

• Hi Jaap,
      I used the list filter on SharePoint 2010 but now I have to migrate to SharePoint 2013. Does this work on SharePoint 2013. I installed the wsp but it doesn’t seem to filter the lists. The solution got activated without any errors but it does not work.

Thanks and regards